1. Everything looks brighter in the morning.
2. Sleep is precious. 5 am mornings are fun and sometimes an all-nighter is literally the only way to get through uni, but please balance it. Life’s better when you’re not constantly drinking coffee to hold your eyes open.
3. Sing and dance as often as you can. Even if you suck. Especially if you suck.
4. Keep in touch with the people you like. Distance is the most impossible obstacle in the world but if they’re like your family – if they’re the people who make you feel happy and excited and good about life, then they’re not worth losing. (Postage stamps are $1.60 for domestic letters, just saying).
5. Hang out by yourself. Eat your favourite foods, sit in the sunshine and look at the ocean. Enjoy the quiet.
6. Never miss an opportunity to tell your friends how much you love them (and even if they say they’re not birthday people always, always celebrate a birthday).
7. You look better with clean hair.
8. Don’t be ashamed of the stuff you like. If all you want to read are shitty romance novels then do. If all you feel like listening to is Taylor Swift and Broadway show tunes then do that too. It’s your life, enjoy it your way.
9. You will never be better at cooking than your mum.
10. Be open to learning things. Even though you want to be you’re not always right.
11. Call your grandparents.
12. Before you go away always clean your linen and make your bed. I know you can’t be bothered. Do it anyway.
13. When given the chance, always say yes to adventure.
14. Sometimes dreams come true and things work out and suddenly everything really does go your way. When that happens breathe! Take everything in. Do not overthink. You deserve happiness.
15. Then again sometimes things don’t work out and that’s okay too. Never beat yourself up over having a bad day.
16. Go to the doctor if something doesn’t feel right. Always better safe than sorry.
17. Don’t be afraid to let go of the people who aren’t making you happy. It’s not mean if it’s going to be the healthiest thing for you. Prioritise yourself.
18. But also don’t be a dick about it.
19. ‘Heartbreak’ is a thing and it’s kind of shit. Even if it’s a mutual thing and you still stay in touch – losing that relationship hurts for way longer than you’d think and takes a long time to stop feeling weird. Don’t let anyone tell you how fast you have to feel better. I promise you’ll be ok.
20. You’re doing the best you can and honestly no one can ask more of you than that. At the end of the day this is your life and you are the best you there is to live it. Have fun! Look after yourself. Always speak genuinely and with integrity. If you are honest with how you live than good people will be honest with you and there is nothing more beautiful than that.
Because like it’s life right? Thanks to evolution we all have to hit puberty some time. There will be shitty days and bad weeks. You will get awful results and rejection letters and have arguments you relive over and over. You won’t pick up the phone, your skin will break out on photo day and you won’t go and visit when you had the chance. Everyone has regrets. Everyone has doubts and fears and things they wish they could do differently. Some people have it worse than others, but no one can be perfectly happy all of the time. Sometimes things suck.
But also there will be such good days. Some you make for yourself and others that you just stumble upon accidentally. There will be laughter and swimming and climbing mountains for the view. You will go driving and walking and eat cake and drink tea and scream as you run away from the wasp hiding in your spinach. There will be lazy mornings with your mum and fish and chips with your dad and beach days with your poppy. There will be singing songs, hilarious photographs and people who love you so much.
In your life there will be people who love you so much.
You have to make the most of it. I believe I can make the most of it.
Happy 20th Birthday To Me.